Graciela Barreiro, Argentina
The Botanical Garden of Buenos Aires was created in 1892 and opened to the public in 1898.
It is the most 'untouched' of the green spaces in the city of Buenos Aires, and retains its original design by French Landscape Architect Carlos (Charles) Thays as well as a large number of the originally planted species. Trees are the highlight of the garden, which also features fantastic collections of cacti, cycads and palms.
With an area of 20 acres in the heart of the city, it is a real treasure for the citizens. Over the last five years, its activity has evolved towards education and research on biodiversity and the Garden is a leader among similar institutions in the country.